The City of Charleston, SC is a jewel, combining a fascinating heritage with contemporary appeal. An integral part of the city, Daniel Island enjoys a central location with close proximity to an extraordinary range of things to see and do. Historic plantations and architecture, an engaging cultural arts scene, world-class shopping and dining, Atlantic beaches and more are all within a 20-minute drive. And for years, Charleston has been known as a top travel destination, winning accolades like Top City in the U.S. byTravel + Leisure and #1 Small U.S. City by readers of Condé Nast Traveler. Our template climate also makes the area attractive for year-round outdoor activity.
For more than 300 years, the “holy city” has survived fires and bombardment, earthquakes and hurricanes, building an enduring heritage that continues to fascinate residents and visitors alike. Overflowing with architectural gems, downtown Charleston is a walking museum. Across the rivers, many antebellum plantations give visitors a glimpse of southern colonial life. Attractions like Fort Sumter and the Confederate submarine H.L. Hunley also are popular historic destinations.
Daniel Island is close to several of the area’s beautiful beaches – just fifteen minutes to the Island of Palms and Sullivan’s Island – so it’s easy for residents to spend a day enjoying the sandy shores of the Atlantic but still be close to home.
Shopping & Dining
Charleston’s historic streets offer a range of shopping delights, from art galleries, eclectic boutiques and antique shops, to bargaining with local artisans for sweet grass baskets and other treasures. Restaurants here are acclaimed for everything from fresh seafood, to fine wines and superb service. From casual to five-star dining, Charleston has earned a growing reputation as one of the country’s best restaurant cities.
Sports & Recreation
Sports fans always have a team to cheer on with the Charleston Riverdogs, the city’s minor league baseball team, and The Charleston Battery, the Daniel Island-based professional soccer team. The Volvo Car Open (formerly the Family Circle Cup) is another exciting sports event that brings the top professional female tennis players to Daniel Island each spring. And, surrounded by rivers, tidal creeks and the Atlantic Ocean, water activities like boating, fishing and kayaking are a part of everyday life in Charleston.
Arts & Culture
Charleston has a long-standing romance with culture and the arts. Daniel Island residents enjoy access to an array of fine art galleries downtown, exhibits at the Gibbes Museum of Art and performances at the Dock Street Theater, the country’s oldest operating theater. Theater and music lovers also enjoy the Charleston Ballet, the Charleston Symphony Orchestra, the Spoleto Festival USA, and many other cultural opportunities throughout the year.
Sports & Entertainment
Daniel Island is home to two acclaimed professional sports facilities. Both the Family Circle Tennis Center and Blackbaud Soccer Stadium host professional sporting events throughout the year, as well as special cultural events and activities for island and Charleston area residents. The island’s in-town country club, the Daniel Island Club, boasts the country’s only single-property pairing of private golf courses by Tom Fazio and Rees Jones.
Charleston’s International Airport is located just eight miles from Daniel Island, convenient for business and leisure travelers. With daily non-stop flights to 18 cities in the U.S. and Canada and quick connections to international hubs in Atlanta and Charlotte, the renovated and expanded Charleston International Airport makes it more enjoyable and easier than ever for both area residents and visitors to travel to and from Charleston.
From several major hospitals concentrated in a medical district on Charleston’s peninsula, to a growing number of hospitals and medical facilities that have recently opened or expanded in Mt. Pleasant, North Charleston and beyond, Charleston’s medical infrastructure is comprehensive. You won’t find a better spot along the coast in the Carolinas and Florida with easier access to top-quality providers and facilities.
In addition to major hospitals, Charleston offers a number of excellent nursing homes, assisted living facilities, hospice care services and convalescent centers. …Read More
Bon Secours St. Francis Xavier Hospital
2095 Henry Tecklenburg Dr., Charleston, SC 29414
East Cooper Regional Medical Center
2000 Hospital Drive, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
Medical University of South Carolina
179 Ashley Avenue, Charleston, SC 29425
MUSC Children’s Hospital
169 Ashley Avenue, Charleston, SC 29425
Naval Health Clinic Charleston
NNPTC Circle, Goose Creek, SC 29445
Ralph H. Johnson V.A. Medical Center
109 Bee Street, Charleston, SC 29401
316 Calhoun Street, Charleston, SC 29401
Roper St. Francis Mt. Pleasant Hospital
3500 Hwy 17 N, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29466
Roper Hospital Berkeley
730 Stoney Landing Rd., Moncks Corner, SC 29461
Trident Medical Center
9330 Medical Plaza Drive, Charleston, SC 29406
Nursing Homes/Assisted Living Facilities:
Ashley River Plantation
2330 Ashley River Rd., Charleston, SC 29414
Bishop Gadsden Episcopal
1873 Camp Rd, Charleston, SC 29412-3501
Franke at Seaside
1885 Rifle Range Road, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
Life Care Center of Charleston
2600 Elms Plantation Blvd, North Charleston, SC 29406-9164
My Father’s House Adult Care
22 Larnes St, Charleston, SC 29403
Mt. Pleasant Manor
921 Bowman Rd., Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
Royal Oaks Senior Care
950 Travelers Blvd., Summerville, SC 29485
1224 Village Creek Ln, Mt Pleasant, SC 29464-3186
Summit Place of Daniel Island
320 Seven Farms Drive, Daniel Island, SC 29492
601 Mathis Ferry Rd., Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
The Bridge at Charleston
2590 Elms Plantation Blvd., Charleston, SC 29406
The Palms of Mt. Pleasant
937 Bowman Rd, Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
Charleston offers an extraordinary array of special events and festivals throughout the year. The internationally renowned Spoleto Festival USA is a 17-day celebration of theater, dance, music and the visual arts with performances by renowned artists, as well as emerging performers. Piccolo Spoleto is our own local version with local Charleston talent. Sports fans always have a team to cheer on with the Charleston Riverdogs, our minor league baseball team, and The Charleston Battery, the Daniel Island-based professional soccer team.
Food connoisseurs dine with the award-winning chefs at the annual Charleston Wine + Food Festival, and outdoor enthusiasts take over downtown Charleston each February for the Southeastern Wildlife Festival, the largest wildlife event in the nation.
Charleston’s five-year run as the “Top City in the U.S.” (Conde Nast Traveler magazine) headlines a long list of accolades from a diverse range of national media organizations. Highlights include:
No. 1 City:
- Ranked the “Top City in the U.S.” in Conde Nast Traveler’s Readers’ Choice survey for four consecutive years (2011-2014)
- Ranked the “Top City in the World” in Conde Nast Traveler’s 2012 Readers’ Choice survey
- Voted top U.S. City in the Travel + Leisure 2013 World’s Best Awards survey
A Top City to Visit:
- Listed among the top 20 travel destinations (2014) in the world by Telegraph Travel
- Voted #2 on list of Best Girls’ Trips by readers of USA Today and 10Best.com (2014)
- Ranked fourth most romantic city in the world by Fodor’s (2014)
- Ranked among the “Top 10 Cities Overall” in Travel + Leisure’s 2013 World’s Best Awards
- Named among the top 21 places to visit in the world by Fodor’s Travel (2012)
- Received “Hall of Fame” recognition for consistently appearing in Travel + Leisure’s World’s Best Awards for over a decade
- Named among the Best American Cities for Foodies (#4) by Conde Nast Traveler (2014)
- Additional accolades for travel and culture have been presented by TravelSmart magazine, Parade magazine, Travelocity.com, CNN, Virtualtourist.com and many others.
A Top Place to Live:
- Named a “Best Place to Retire” by Forbes (2014)
- Ranked #12 on the Huffington Post’s list of best U.S. military base locations around the world (2014)
- Named Best Small City for Retirement in Fortune Magazine’s round-up of the “Best Places to Retire Now” (2014)
- Daniel Island was ranked among the country’s top 50 master planned communities by Where to Retire magazine (2013, 2011, 2009)
- Charleston ranked #2 among the country’s Top Ten Downtowns by Livability.com (2013)
A Top Performing City:
- Ranked among top 10 Fastest Growing Cities for software and Internet technology by Fast Company (2012)
- Ranked the fifth Top Mid-Size City for Jobs by Forbes
- Ranked Friendliest City by readers of Conde Nast Traveler (2014)
- Received a Lifetime Achievement Award for being named “Most Mannerly City” by etiquette expert Marjabelle Young Stewart more than 30 times